Monday 23 March 2015

Vintage project final evaluation

For our vintage project we had to compose a sketch book consisting of 20 pages of A3 or 40 of A4 on an era between 1900-1960. The idea behind this project was to create a book with category's that best suited that era, example include fashion, technology, historical figures, historical events, transport ETC, the list is endless. We were required to create extravagant pages with pop-ups fold outs and paper crafts to create a book which was factual (annotated) but very artist, filled with drawing and paintings.


 For my personal choice of era I chose the 1900,s ,y reason for this choice is it is at a stage in our development where our technological advancements were just picking up and so the theme would be more vintage with tea bag stained pages for age and bolts and cogs or clock mechanisms, this is what particularly drew me to the era in addition to this the fashion round this era was simplistic and monochrome ( as a person who works in fashion retail this pleased me most) long dresses and beautiful blouses with very eclectic hats with well kept hair cuts to match.


For my category choice I chose to base my vintage book mainly around fashion studying mainstream and alternate whilst including the huge differences in style between the all expensive higher class and the less earning lower class ( up stairs down stairs) as wells gender separation (male and female). Other category choices include technology and medical technology which study's the equipment and medicines that they administer to patients as well as the materials used, plus the staff that worked during these early advances in medical science and how the lives of many were affected differently from situation that we can solve easily with in our modern society. Other aspects of technology that I studied include transport and looking at early models of cars as apposed to the common horse and cart most people used. this was due to the advancement of steam to engine and early examples of combustion within vehicles. I also studied authentic floras and Fornas and the interpretations drawn by artists and people of the time, such artist included Georgia O'keeffe.


During my project I took cultural influence from the Classic Brit studying the posh antics of the higher class and what it meant to be part of this ruling minority of people, during my sketch book you will notice that that most of my higher class figure wear a variety of color with in the wardrobe options exceling in rich cashmeres and sublime silks to rugged whale bone corsets and eccentric head wear all in an attempt to out do each other, during this time we notice that clothing became cheaper and so the lower class that showed clear segregation via black and white clothing (monochrome) began to wear small amount of bold color breaking down the classes between the rich and the poor creating integration. 



For my artist choice I decided to do 2 artist of the era that were less well known at this time but be came more famous in years to come, my reason for this I found it very hard to find an artist that I liked during my era so opted for artists who's work was known at the time but not as famous until later years, this made my search hard as it was difficult to locate artist from the era. My next to paragraphs give detail of the artists I chose to study and what I thought best represented the era from my point of view.

John William Godward 

John William Godward was born 9th august 1861 and was an English painter from the end of the pre-Raphaelite/Neo-classicist era. He was a protégé of Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema but his style of painting fell out of fashion what with new artists and style emerging from upcoming artist such as Picasso, as one of the last known artists to drew primarily in portraits to a human like standard, his skills I fell were never properly praised as his style grew out old he was to late and so was never properly praised for his work I feel. my reasons for basing one of my artist around Godward was because his style of drawing and human figure is something I to favor and so I felt that his work would best work in my scrape book to make it so that it is more about me as well and the era that I liked. for the time my artist is set it doesn't seem to tell much about his contributions during the 1900,s as my search for an artist that I liked that was active during this time was narrow, I presume that due to photography being relatively new people turned to photography for a quicker way to capture a moment rather than a portrait which could take months.





Georgia O,Keeffe
 Georgia O,Keeffe was born 15th November 1887 and was the second of 7 children, she was taught art lessons at home where her talent for art was soon recognized by teachers who encouraged her skills through out her school years, when Georgia O,keeffe graduated from high school in 1905 she was determined to become an artist and during the last 5 years of the 1900-1910 created a reputable name for herself demonstrating her outstanding abilities in her first exhibition which was in 1916 though this is out of my time reach she has work profound to the 1900,s, her bold paintings and detailed charcoal drawing are what drew me to her, her style of using flowers and skulls is what greatly influenced my decision her art movements and abstract style of painting shocked Americans who were used to realistic style of painting as part of this effort to become unique she aimed her efforts toward the alternate crowds of the time who would praise her work this then spread and popularity grew for her style. Additional reasons why I chose O'keeffe was because I already had a vast knowledge about her images and painting as she was an artist that id previously studied.




during the create of my scrap book I used a vast amount of medias from water color to color pencil but even more unique to my scrap book I used puff binder to recreate O'keefe's work which is evident of the pages based on her. I also used nail vanish to add a shimmer effect on of my pages and even sewed dress cut outs into my book to create a more textiles themed scrap book. as for back ground most of my pages are tea bag stained to create a feel of age. on the John William Godward page I have burnt holes in the page and illustrated the gap with his work which give a very unique style to my work. in addition to this I have also used lavender to create a more 4D effect this is evident on my medical technology page. the meaning behind this is to give an effect of purity and herbal remedy when the pods are crushed the oils are released, for those who use imagination in their search for meaning I've aimed to replicate a classic hospital during the time, some even link it to witchdoctors but this wasn't common during the time and was more medieval that early 1900's.




in my sketch book I have tried to create fun ways of annotating my pages for example my page on fashion has a card illustrated by a silhouette of 1900s, other examples include them being concealed behind thing such as my page on higher class fashion where there hidden behind fabric flaps that replicate a shop window.

As for my time management I fell that the time frame to complete the project was long and enough to complete the project though I feel I could managed my time a lot better than I have towards the end I felt myself going to a manic state of rushing to finish work and so I feel that my scrap book is rushed and not to standard I accept that I could have done a lot better than I have. I could have improved my by staying to plan and following my project brief better.

overall I fell the start of my sketch book is so much better than the rest as before I felt rushed to complete work to time and the last 2 weeks was a wake up call to kick myself into motion to complete my work. overall I feel I haven't done my work to a high standard as it should be. 

 

Blog- Maxtelford@blogspot.com

Pintrest-Max.telford1@pintrest.com































 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment